Pages

Wednesday, June 23

Ears of silence


 
Finally, I reached the subway platform to take the train one stop to my job. It was way too hot to walk the 10 blocks or so in the middle of the heat. As I scrolled through my iPod to see what song to play next, I was interrupted by someone screaming. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Just another person screaming in NYC." Being the nosey person that I am, I put my music on pause to hear what he was saying. And the first thing to hit my ears was, "My people are dying!" So I turn to look at the gentleman and he was a well clothed male that looked like he was on his way to work. As I listened closely he continued to scream that his country is torn apart and that his ancestors have given so much to make it whole. Now the question I started to ask myself is, "Where is this man from?" As soon as I mentioned those words to myself, the police showed up at the scene and the train I needed to take was on its way down the rail. Right before I boarded the train I heard the man say, "Ayiti!" No one cared because to them he was just another "person" wailing out in NYC. When in reality all he wanted was to be heard. So much of what this man had to say ricocheted on ears that were dead silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment