Pages

Thursday, August 5

Book Haul!

I stopped by Barnes & Nobles yesterday and was greeted by my favorite word...CLEARANCE!! They have a large amount of books on sale for 75%. So I started digging and bought two books for about $7 total! Can't beat that.

The first one is called Still I Rise by Roland Laird & Taneisha Nash Laird. It talks about African American history from the 1600's to now in comic book form. The book was a quick history lesson with a twist of humor. Its interesting to see how much our ancestors had to endure to get the right to vote, keep a job and gain their freedom. Whats sad to say is that today some people are still fighting those same battles.

The other book I bought is called More Black Memorabillia: A Handbook & Price Guide. I don't own any memorabillia but I specifically bought this book to see what kinds of things were made to represent blacks. From women constantly being portrayed as the mammy and bare skinned children playing with tigers as if there animals, this book has alot of powerful images.

No comments:

Post a Comment