Pages

Monday, October 3

My Natural Hair Story

My natural hair story is like a roller coaster. Some people laugh at me when I say this but it hurts when you think your doing all the right things when your actually not. I'll explain....


I decided to go natural in December of 2008. My friends would call me the weave queen. I was known as the guinea pig that would try out new brands, styles, you name it. And of course I loved the sleek look so I always made sure my edges were permed. As time progressed, I realized that my hair was constantly breaking.  When you touched it, it would snap. So I decided to stop perming my hair and try an alternative route. Going natural.

So for about 2 years I started buying half wigs and making my own. I loved making them because I got to experiment with different types of cheap BSS hair. Since I'm taking it off every night, no need to go all out and buy remy. Then in October of 2010 I decided to let my natural hair shine! When I went to the hair stylist to get it done, she said the majority of my hair needed to be cut off because the ends were really damaged. So I went from a bob to a pixie cut. I was upset at first but my hair turned out really nice so I embraced it.

After that I started researching online trying to figure out how to take care of my natural hair. One of the best resources I found was Black Hair Media Forum. This place was like a god sent because I had no idea what to do. After awhile I came up with a regimen that worked for me. Every Sunday was wash day so I would:

-Detangle with V05 conditioner and olive oil
-Separate my hair into 4 sections
-While in the shower wash each section with Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream
-Deep Condition w/ Phytospecific Vital Force Creme Bath
-Sit under the dryer for about 60mins
-Rinse
-Two-strand twist my hair w/ Kimmaytube's Leave in Conditioner


Then the next morning I'd take out the twists. This would last me a whole week. So now fast forward to April 2011. After the crazy winter, I made an appointment to see my hair stylist again. I decided I needed a trim only to find out that my hair was breaking all over again. I was sooo devastated. I cried about it and realized that I just need to figure out what I was doing wrong. So she actually said I should have my thyroid checked out to see if something is wrong there. I went to my doctor who gave my a blood test which ended up turning out fine. So if I was taking care of my hair and my thyroid is fine, then whats the problem? After alot of research I decided to take supplements. I decided to purchase fish oil and biotin. It's been about  4 months now (I started in June) and the combination has actually done wonders for me. My hair is a lot stronger with little to no breakage. I've decided to keep weaving my hair until summer 2012. Then I will unleash my natural hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment